Founding of Deep Creek Baptist Church
Just before the Civil War, a strong determination to have a Baptist Church in the Deep Creek community gripped the hearts of a few of its people. In those difficult days, they felt as never before, the need for a place of worship to proclaim the Gospel, and they felt assured that this could be done through an organized church.
On September 9, 1859, the ministers and deacons from Rehobeth, Harmony, and Antioch met in a little one-room log house about a half mile from Dewy Rose and organized a Presbytery to constitute a Baptist Church. Twenty-four letters were received, representing the founding members of Deep Creek Baptist Church. Rev. Asa Duncan became the first pastor.
For thirteen years, as often as opportunities permitted, services were held in a little log house. Part of this time, the members were suffering the horrors of the Civil War. Many of the men were fighting in the war, while the ones left at home were experiencing many hardships. After the war ended and reconstruction began, members decided in 1872 that there was a need for a larger worship center in a more convenient place. 2 ½ acres of land were donated at the present day site. It was not until 1903, however, that the present day building was erected.
Over 150 years have passed since the founding of Deep Creek. Twenty-three pastors have led an ever-changing congregation. Additions to the original building have been erected and demolished or renovated to make room for even larger additions. As time has passed, however, this church has remained a shining light for the community. Over the years, many of its members, having dedicated their lives to serving God, have reached beyond the walls of the church to positively impact the lives of their friends and neighbors in the community and beyond. God has blessed their efforts and will no doubt continue to do so.
Download a scan of Mrs. R. G. Booth's account of the History of Deep Creek: